Thursday, September 15, 2016

Mistaken Identity

2009 vs. 2016. Nope, can't see a difference here...

It isn't every day that we get to enjoy being forgotten. Mostly, we work hard to make ourselves known in the world - to be kind, rich, successful, wise - anything that leaves a mark on those around us. Finding out that we left so little impression that we are not remembered can be really damaging to the ego.

But, not always.

Yesterday I went in to see my family physician for my "yearly wellness" exam. This is the same doctor who, back in February, referred me over to ABQ Health Partners Bariatrics to get started on the bariatric surgery process. When last we met I weighed over 300 pounds, had sky-high blood pressure, and couldn't walk very well due to my damaged knee.

Yesterday, she walked into the exam room, took one look at me, then a look at Lor (who accompanies me on all my medical visits), then another look at me, and asked: "I have seen you as a patient before, haven't I?"

Being forgotten: Best Feeling Ever.

My own physician did not recognize Lor and I, only 7 months after our last visit. After going over her notes, she did get quickly up to speed, and was as congratulatory as anyone has been about our weight loss. But mistaking me for an entirely different person just about made my day.

And, oh yeah, I get to cease taking my high blood pressure medications too. So, there is that as well.

Every day, I look in the mirror, and ask myself: "Do I really look all that different?" I don't think so. As my changes are happening slowly, incrementally, I don't notice them. Same face, same eyebrows, same goatee, etc. Though I certainly feel differently, I don't really perceive what the rest of the world is seeing. I can, of course, force the issue by dragging out old photos like the ones above, but even that somehow doesn't feel "real" to me. 

Now, having someone I see every 6 months fail to recognize me? That feels like progress, and a significant Non-Scale Victory.

Guess I Should Go To The Doctor More Often,

- Hawkwind

No comments:

Post a Comment